Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Grandma?s Mercury Dimes

One vivid memory of my very early childhood back in the 1960?s was of driving to church on Sunday mornings with my family. Since my grandparents lived close to us, Dad would always swing by and pick them up, and we?d all carpool together. It was the job of ?Little Danny? (as I was affectionately nicknamed back then) to sit in the backseat, wedged snugly between Grandpa and Grandma.
As if some sort of ritual, every Sunday Grandma would fish though her purse to find goodies for me and my older brother. Grandma almost always carried Wrigley?s chewing gum, though once in a while we had to settle for a cherry-flavored cough drop. For a bonus treat, Grandma gave each grandson a coin to go in the piggybank. There were a few instances when I received a dime featuring a l View the rest of this article


No comments: